SCENE TWO: THE FLIGHT INTO THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS
GRUSHA takes MICHAEL with her towards the Northern Mountains. She tries to buy milk from a peasant and realizes how expensive the milk has become-the effects of war are being felt as soldiers collect trophies of war.
TWO IRONSHIRTS and a CORPORAL are pursuing GRUSHA with the command to take the child to the FAT PRINCE. Their conversation draws to a reality that, soldiers are meant serve without question, follow orders heartlessly and be ready to sacrifice themselves for the state or those in power.
GRUSHA tries to leave the child at the doorstep of a peasant’s house but goes back to the peasant when she realizes that the IRONSHIRTS are pursuing the child. She hits the CORPORAL with a wooden plank and takes off with the child.
GRUSHA crosses a delicate bridge risking both her life and that of the child.
GRUSHA displays the height of humanity and love of life to risk her own life to save the life of a child she barely knew, unlike the child’s mother who quickly forgot him when trouble beckoned.
SIGNIFICANT EVENTS IN SCENE TWO
- GRUSHA with the child sets of to the NOTHERN MOUNTAINS. In trying to provide for the child, she realizes how expensive the products had become
- GRUSHA decides to drop the child at a peasant’s house and go away.
- GRUSHA hits the CORPORAL with a plank of wood before escaping with the child.
- GRUSHA risks both her life and that of the child by crossing a weak bridge.
QUESTIONS FROM IN SCENE TWO
- Explain GRUSHA VASHNADZE’s character traits.
- In your own opinion, what are some of the effects of a revolution?
- The CORPORAL outlines the code of conduct of the IRONSHIRTS, in your own words, what are some of the problems faced by police officials?
OBSERVATIONS MADE FROM SCENE TWO
- Love is a bond grown out of nothing whatsoever. It is the feeling of empathy and readiness to help regardless of the social class. This brings me to a question, What if GRUSHA was the governor’s wife and NATELLA was a peasant’s wife who had left the child behind, would GRUSHA have felt the same attraction?